Monday, April 30, 2018

And another short story is off and running...

I wrote a short, short story back in the winter (1500 words) and submitted it somewhere, but no luck. That's okay. I revised it, expanded it, and sent it out somewhere else today. And it's closer to 5,000 words, so it's eligible for a few other comps I have my eyes on if necessary.

It's called "The Puzzle Man," and it's about an older man who lives in Florida and works as a security guard at a retirement facility. It's very close to home, no lie. The best fiction sometimes is. I think it's pretty rich with theme and symbolism. We'll see how it does.

I wrote it from third person omniscient, which is new for me, but I am afraid it's too narrative heavy.

I've also been working on a novel and poetry. Am I accomplishing what I set out to do, what I took time off work to do? Sure, a little bit at a time. I'm chipping at that stone.

On a side note, I just finished The Hate U Give, by Angie Thomas. I am wanting to go to this bookclub that meets down by where the Dragons play, a little bar I always go to when I go to a game. I read it in two days. I didn't think I'd like it, but I actually really did. It's the writer's first book and I will say she did a most excellent job on dialogue.

I like to think I'm pretty good at dialogue, because I go for the character driven stories when I write, but this novel I have in the works and this latest short story are more plot driven, so that's new for me... The Hate U Give is a good example of how to use dialogue between characters to keep the flow of the story going.

Other new things on the horizon: I am serious about this blog thing, so I have some events lined up that I hope to capitalize some writing out of. Next month (May) is the reveal of the Memphis Belle at the Air Force Museum. In June, I'll be seeing the Gin Blossoms in concert, and in July, I'll be volunteering at Springsfest (just found out about that a few days ago), which means I'll be able to see the show! Super excited about that (Guided by Voices will be playing!). I'm also working on volunteering at the Yellow Springs Street fair in June.

I'm thinking of investing in a nice Nikon to take pics, but truth be told, my iPhone takes really good pics, I just have to practice with it a bit more. We'll see. Like all the pics from my Florida post were taken with the phone. I mean, I wasn't "trying" then... just snapping away like a happy little clam, but if you really practice and utilize the features, it can take great photos.

And there's always a ton of stuff going on in my community and the Dayton area, so there's no reason why I can't get out there, do some stuff, and write about it, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Traveling the Aviation Trail (Part 2: Finishing My Seven Stops)

I left off in my last blog telling you that I began the Aviation Trail in the summer of 2016. The week after last, one day, I collecte...